5-7 March 2013
Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon, Vietnam
The Symposium is a three-day platform for national decision-makers, renowned scientists, and industry from all six Mekong riparian countries (China, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam), as well as from the international community to share their experience and knowledge. It will focus on relevant aspects of finding equilibriums between necessary economic development as well as the urgent need for environmental protection and the maintenance of the Mekong’s river ecology.
The first day will be devoted to official opening of the conference with keynote talks on the most pressing environmental/political/economic issues in the overall Mekong Basin, as well as the hand-over of the extensive Mekong Delta Information System, which has been developed in the WISDOM project (www.wisdom.eoc.dlr.de).
This day will be a highly political day, giving you the chance to meet decision makers, and ministry staff from all Mekong countries, and also network with enterprises, international donors, and NGOs etc. The whole conference will have simultaneous translation in all riparian country languages, and even for coffee side talks we also have free interpreters available.
The second and third day will focus on numerous scientific topics including:
• Hydropower development and impacts on river ecology
• Hydropower development and impacts on economy
• Impacts and outcomes of the Greater Mekong Subregion Initiative
• Mekong Basin forest dynamics and REDD+
• Mekong Basin landuse and urbanisation dynamics
• Natural hazards in the Mekong Basin
• Tonle Sap Lake: ecology, biodiversity and rural livelihoods
• Climate change related challenges in the Mekong Delta
• Mechanisms for transboundary water management, good governance
• Participation and capacity building
to name only a few selected. We will have room for three large parallel sessions; the conference aims at about 350 participants.
Please visit http://www.mekong-environmental-symposium-2013.org/