With the sponsorship of LOICZ, Elsevier has published in 2012 the Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science. The Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science examines our estuaries and coasts, and its interactions and feedbacks with humanity, from the inland watershed to the ocean shelf. The Treatise provides a comprehensive scientific resource for all professionals and students in the area of estuarine and coastal science.
The Treatise has two chief editors, Professor Eric Wolanski of James Cook University and the Australian Institute of Marine Science, and Professor Donald McLusky of the University of Stirling. It has 23 volume editors, each of whom is a recognized worldwide expert in their subject area. Several of these editors and many authors are, or were, LOICZ SSC members, one editor is the Chief Executive Officer of LOICZ, and many, many more authors have been associated with LOICZ activities over the last decade. LOICZ truly is prominent in the Treatise.
The 12 volumes are:
- Classification of Estuarine and Nearshore Coastal Ecosystems (edited by C Simenstad and T Yanagi);
- Water and Fine-Sediment Circulation (edited by RJ Uncles and SG Monismith);
- Estuarine and Coastal Geology and Geomorphology (edited by BW Flemming and JD Hansom);
- Geochemistry of Estuaries and Coasts (edited by G Shimmield);
- Biogeochemistry (edited by RWPM Laane and JJ Middelburg);
- Trophic Relationships of Coastal and Estuarine Ecosystems (edited by JG Wilson and JJ Luczkovich);
- Functioning of Ecosystems at the Land-Ocean Interface (edited by CHR Heip, JJ Middelburg and CJM Philippart);
- Human-Induced Problems (Uses and Abuses) (edited by MJ Kennish and M Elliott);
- Estuarine and Coastal Ecosystem Modeling (edited by D Baird and AJ Mehta);
- Ecohydrology and Restoration (edited by L Chícharo and M Zalewski);
- Management of Estuaries and Coasts (edited by HH Kremer and JL Pinckney); and
- Ecological Economics of Estuaries and Coasts (edited by M van den Belt and R Costanza)
There are 358 authors. Each volume has approximately 10–15 chapters, with each chapter written by an acknowledged expert in that topic. Each chapter provides an up-to-date review of its subject area and is well illustrated with full color available throughout.
In addition, the editors of each volume have provided an overview of their subject, summarizing the state of knowledge and the future directions of research.